Blog Archive

Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Apple Salad with Brie En Croute

This was my very first EVER attempt and making up my own dressing. Usually my first attempts yield less than perfect results - which in my language translates to "tragedy." But, I'm happy to say this is a first attempt I'm proudly sharing: 

*Also, as you know, I typically toss amounts that look right/good. I did my best to measure this time. 

Apple Salad with Brie En Croute


1st Step: Brie
1/2 round of Brie
1/2 sheet puff pastry, thawed
1 - 1 1/2 Tbsp. Honey
1 tsp. cinnamon sugar mix. If you need help making your own, click here
1 egg, beaten (for egg wash)

Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.

Roll out your half-sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured surface.

Place Brie in the middle of the pastry. Drizzle with honey and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture. 

Wrap the Brie like a present, pinching/pressing seams together. Brush with egg wash all over the top. 

Bake for about 15 minutes, or until pastry has puffed and is golden brown.

Let cool and cut into wedges. 


2nd Step - Dressing.

1 1/2 Tbsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
3 tsp. Honey
1 tsp. cinnamon sugar mixture
Dash of Kosher Salt
Pinch of Black Pepper
1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Combine first five ingredients in a mixing bowl.

Vigorously whisk everything together with one hand as you slow and steadily drizzle the olive oil into the bowl (unless your lucky and have someone to slowly drizzle while you whisk and also hold the bowl steady). This process will cause the olive oil to emulsify with the apple cider vinegar, creating a thick, delicious dressing. 2nd Step - Assembling your salad.

3rd Step: - Assembling your salad.
1 Granny Smith Apple
1 Fuji Apple
2 Tbsp. Toasted Pine Nuts
2 Tbsp. Whole Flaxseed
1/3 cup dried cranberries.
2 - 3 oz. Baby Romaine Lettuce

Thinly slice 1/2 of each apple. Chop the rest.

Put everything into a bowl.

Toss well with dressing.

Plate it all up together. 

There is something oddly delicious about warm melted cheese that has cooled a bit, finding its way into a few bites of your salad. Aaron also said I could make this one again, any time I wanted. :) 



Aaron was way cute and made a beautiful display of the cookies I made with the left-over pastry dough... those didn't turn out so well, but Aaron sure made them look pretty. :)












No comments:

Post a Comment