Blog Archive

Friday, January 23, 2015

Pestos...

You Can Make Them Out Of Practically Anything.

The most common pestos we make in our home are cilantro pesto, arugula pesto, and your basic basil pesto. To be honest, I've only been making my own pestos for just under a year now and I've never really measured ingredients (although, that should come as no surprise). I love pestos. They can add so much flavor in a healthy way, and while there are ingredients that traditionally go in a pesto, if you're missing a couple of ingredients, it's not the end of the world. Your pesto will still taste delicious and you can always substitute that missing ingredient for other things you do have on hand. 

These days, many people use a food processor to make their pesto. However if you don't already have one and it's not in your budget, you can always use a mortar and pestle. This will give you the opportunity to make your pesto, the "old school" way. Which, in all honesty, I now want to give a shot. In any case, Pestos are super easy. After only a couple times of making them and following a recipe, I now can make them in my own head and without a recipe. I don't really have to think too hard. I almost wonder if it's even possible to mess up a Pesto.



Traditional ingredients are typically, Basil, Olive Oil, Salt, and Pine nuts. However, pine nuts are pricey so I don't always have them on hand. This is where I can substitute another nut, like walnuts, or omit them all together. I also have other ingredients I like to mix in, such as lemon zest, garlic, Parmesan cheese or other spices (of course, I don't always add them all in the same pesto). Below are a few of my favorites. I hope they can become some of yours, or that you take them and make them your own.

Basil Pesto

4 oz. Fresh Basil
1-2 medium cloves Garilc, peeled.
1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt 
1/3 cup Parmesan Cheese
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Toss the first 4 ingredients into food processor and get them chopped. If needed, Turn OFF your food processor and scrape any larger bits from the side back into the center of the "bowl". Turn your food processor back on to incorporate those larger pieces.

With your food processor still running, slowly drizzle olive oil through the chute....yes, it may splatter. 



Unplug your food processor, carefully take out the blade, and pour finished olive oil over the food you're eating with, OR into a container. Pesto freezes really well (on the day you want to use it, set out on your counter for about 8 hours to thaw).

*Of course, you can add a tablespoon or two of pine nuts if you want. If I have them on hand, I like to.

Cilantro Pesto

2 small bunches (or 1 large) bunch of cilantro
1 medium cloves of Garlic, peeled
1/2 tsp of Kosher Salt
pinch of Pepper
1/8 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Pretty similar process to the Basil Pesto:

Toss the first 5 ingredients into food processor and get them chopped. If needed, Turn OFF your food processor and scrape any larger bits from the side back into the center of the "bowl". Turn your food processor back on to incorporate those larger pieces.

With your food processor still running, slowly drizzle olive oil through the chute. 

Unplug your food processor, carefully take out the blade, and pour finished olive oil over the food you're eating with, OR into a container. Pesto freezes really well (on the day you want to use it, set out on your counter for about 8 hours to thaw).

Arugula Pesto

I got this pesto recipe from Giada de Laurentiis with her Chicken and Arugula Pita Pockets. I use the arugula pesto in so many other things, though. Aaron and I really like it over pasta. 

2 cups packed arugula
1 clove Garlic, peeled and halved
1/2 cup grated Parmesan Cheese
1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt
1/4 tsp. back pepper
1/2 cup Olive Oil

Toss the first 5 ingredients into food processor and get them chopped. If needed, Turn OFF your food processor and scrape any larger bits from the side back into the center of the "bowl". Turn your food processor back on to incorporate those larger pieces.

With your food processor still running, slowly drizzle olive oil through the chute. 


Side note: I'm toying with the idea of Blanching and shocking my greens to help pesto retain it's green color. I'm still working that process out. But I'm happy to report that batches of pesto I made with blanched basil turned out beautifully green.









For this Basil Pesto, I didn't have Parmesan cheese on hand (I know... the Blasphemy!) so I used grated lemon zest instead. See? Just another way you can adapt a pesto if you find - in the middle of making it - that you're missing an ingredient. So versatile!




















No comments:

Post a Comment